Modular manufacturing for supplier companies (especially in the automotive industry) is a gradually increasing challenge, not to mention the ever-growing demand to boost production. A crucial point in non-automated and human resource required production processes to ensure the well-supported work of the operators. A possible solution is showing just the required information to process the actual workpiece and no more. This interaction requires a reliable and real-time semi-finished product tracking system.
Besides improving the working process, digital information disclosure enables a paperless process in production. Thus the so far paper-based work instructions and module lists are replaced by digital displays, which provide full information to employees.
Sunstone RTLS uses a web-based system to display digital work instructions. Work instructions are shown from a previously loaded database, based on the product option code. Thus, the process steps for the current product are always presented to the operators. Work instructions can be video, picture, text and can consist of several steps. Switching between these steps can be done by pressing a button, touching or timed. There are two often used methods for installing such a display system:
- Moving semi-finished product: Display (standard PC, tablet, Raspberry Pi, e.g.) placed on the working stations. As soon as the semi-finished product (with the TAG) arrives at the working station, the system will display the work instruction for the given product identifier.
- Moving operator: in this case, a mobile device (tablet, phone) moves with the operator and approaches the actual workpiece. As soon as the TAG on the workpiece comes close to the TAG on the mobile device, the current job instruction appears.
To identify a given workpiece without any other tool, TAGs have a small display capable of displaying the unique ID of the product.
Displays placed on the TAGs show the unique ID of the current workpiece. That way, the product can be identified at any time and without any identifier, production sheet or other necessary tools (e.g. scanner).
Tablet or thin client with a touch screen monitor are placed on workstations. The display is browser based. The device communicates with the Sunstone server via UWB technology. TAG identification in a given zone is happening the same way.
There is an optional auto-scroll (depends on the pre-defined cycle time) for multi-page work instructions. Optional scroll forward or backward is available if there is a difference in cycle time.
Advantage of the system
- Work instructions are managed in a centralized database, thus directly updated everywhere (no outdated work instruction in the production)
- Paperless project
- An easier and more visual training opportunity
- Once the pilot is running, you will see Sunstone RTLS creates new dimensions in the way how you address your logistics and production processes.
- Chose one pilot workstation where you already have digital work instructions
- Our partners help to improve this workstation with their digital workstation solutions
- With the RTLS based dynamic digital workstation, the work of your employees is easier, and it gives all the necessary information at the right time and place.