Modular manufacturing for supplier companies (especially in the automotive industry) is a gradually growing challenge, not to mention the ever-growing demand to boost production. A crucial point in non-automated and human resource required production processes is to support the work of operators. A possible solution is to show only the required information to process the actual workpiece at hand and nothing else. This interaction requires a reliable and real-time semi-finished product tracking system.
Besides improving the working process, digital information disclosure enables a paperless production process. Thus, the earlier paper-based work instructions and module lists are replaced by digital displays, which provide full information to employees.
Sunstone RTLS uses a web-based system to display digital work instructions. Work instructions are shown from a pre-loaded database, based on the product option code. Thus, the process steps for the current product are always presented to the operators. Work instructions can be videos, pictures or text and can consist of several steps. Switching between these steps can be done by pressing a button, touching or timers. There are two often used methods for installing such a display system:
- Moving semi-finished product: Display (standard PC, tablet, Raspberry Pi, e.g.) placed on the workstations. As soon as the semi-finished product (with the TAG) arrives at the working station, the system will display the work instruction for the given product identifier.
- Moving operator: in this case, a mobile device (tablet, phone) moves with the operator and approaches the actual workpiece. As soon as the TAG on the workpiece comes close to the TAG on the mobile device, the current job instruction appears.
To identify a given workpiece without any other tool, TAGs have a small display capable of displaying the unique ID of the product.
Displays placed on the TAGs show the unique ID of the current workpiece. As a result, the product can be identified at any time and without any identifier, production sheet or other necessary tools (e.g. scanner).
A tablet or thin client with a touch screen monitor is placed on workstations. The display is browser-based. The device communicates with the Sunstone server via UWB technology. TAG identification in a given zone happens in the same way.
There is an optional auto-scroll (depends on the pre-defined cycle time) for multi-page work instructions. Optional scroll forward or backward is available if there is a difference in cycle time.
Advantages of the system
- Work instructions are managed in a centralized database, thus directly updated everywhere (no outdated work instruction in production)
- Paperless project
- An easier and more visual training opportunity
- Once the pilot is running, you will see Sunstone RTLS opens new dimensions in how you address your logistics and production processes.
- Choose one pilot workstation where you already have digital work instructions
- Our partners help to improve this workstation with their digital workstation solutions
- The RTLS based dynamic digital workstation makes your employees’ jobs easier, and provides all necessary information at the right time and place.